Black and Blue Love



On repeat: Make You Feel My Love (Lea Michele’s version)

When Lea Michele sang this on Glee after hearing the news of Cory Monteith’s passing, I bawled my eyes out together with all the cast members. Not because Finn (Cory’s character) was my favorite but because the grief that Lea felt at the death of her onscreen and offscreen love was so palpable. She sang this song with such heart that everytime I hear it, I cry.

I know this sounds crazy but there are days when I feel the need to cry. Not for anything specific but as some sort of cathartic release. A few days ago, I needed one. Not the cute kind that one does while watching a heartbreak unfolding on the big screen, nor the tiny whimpers caused by a little disappointment. I needed to really, really cry. The ugly kind that stretches your face into ranges you didn’t think were possible, causes your chest to constrict, your voice to crack, and your breaths to come in alternating pulses of short and long inhales and exhales. And I thought what better song to cry to than this one. 

The curious thing is, when you look at it from a certain standpoint, I don’t think it’s a sad song at all. Yes, it talks about low points in someone’s life but it also sings of a love so deep, so pure, so true that it’s willing to conquer anything to make it all better.

That day, the day that I cried as I sang, I could only picture one Man. Hungry, black and blue, stumbling down an avenue. There was nothing HE didn’t do to make me feel His love.

I hope, my dear readers, you find that kind of love in your lifetime.



Old, Ragged, Wooden

Comments