Sunday Will Come!


In his letter to the Philippians, Paul exhorted his brothers to continue to "advance the Gospel" out of love for it and not be affected by those who do so out of envy, rivalry, selfish ambition, and false motives because regardless of how the Gospel is preached, the important thing is it is preached. He also encouraged them to be united, humble, serve one another, be obedient to God, and to do everything without complaints or contentions among each other so they may be found holy and blameless and be a light to their generation. Paul also warned them against legalism, to not place confidence in their familial heritage, accomplishments, place in society, or talents because they are all garbage in light of a Holy God. However, what srikes me the most in this epistle is the general sense of rejoicing that Paul endeavored to convey to all the saints in Philippi.

When I was a young Christian, I was daunted and intimidated and a bit scared when I read about Paul the apostle's life (or snippets of it, at least) through the letters he wrote to the early Christian churches he ministered to. My mind was blown away by the trials he endured. My daily inconveniences pale in comparison to his struggles and yet I still find myself complain about them sometimes. God, in His infinite wisdom, knows exactly what I could and couldn't handle and I am thankful for that. 

A study of the Philippians reminded me of some of the things Paul wrestled with but also of the unfathomable joy and peace he found amidst all of it. I wonder, however, how many times Paul had a human moment, instances when he felt he's had enough of the imprisonment, judgment, persecution, hatred, isolation, and rejection? In my experience, whenever I'm in the thick of the battle, I need to work extra hard (i.e., conscious and intentional effort) to focus on things that are tue, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent, and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8).

My past travails (if you can even call it that) would not hold a candle to Paul's tragedies. Would I have the same exuberance he had when faced with the challenges he did? A joy like Paul's stems from a much deeper understanding of God's love, grace, and mercy. Something we won't fathom unless we have a personal experience of it. To be honest, if I had a choice in the matter I really wouldn't want to find out. But leaving one's comfort zone and stepping out in faith is where growth and miracles happen. God calls us away from things that are familiar and outside of our control to empty us of the superfluous things that hold us down.

As I reflected on this joy that Paul speaks about, I was drawn to what he wrote in Philipians 3: 13-14 (HCSB), "Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: FORGETTING WHAT IS BEHIND and REACHING FORWARD TO WHAT IS AHEAD, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus." Seasons of testing are inevitable. Dark days will come. But in Jesus, we have a hope. We know that we are but sojourners in this earth and "our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. He will transform the body of our humble condition into the likeness of His glorious body, by the power that enables Him to subject everything to himself." (Philippians 3: 20-21, HCSB)

The revelation of this truth gave Paul a reason to rejoice despite the things he had to suffer through. We can have the same joy as well. Sure, there will be tears, fears, doubts, questions, anxieties, and moments of extreme sorrow and grief but the Psalmist said, "For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5, NKJV)

When Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane on the night before He died, He was deeply distressed and horrified (Mark 14:33, HCSB), and He said to His disciples, "My soul is swallowed up in sorrow--to the point of death..." (Mark 14:34, HCSB). Jesus, when confronted with the inevitability of His death, felt what we all feel when we are faced with the threat of financial ruin, the death of a loved one, the curtailment of our freedom, a health crisis, or a viral (coronavirus) pandemic the likes of which we never thought we'd ever see in our lifetime.

Yes, like Jesus, we will have bleak Fridays when we don't have the strength to get out of bed and Saturdays when we are mere minutes away from giving up. But just as Paul endured his trials for the sake of the goal he is reaching for...

...we can fix our eyes on the same prize.

And as Jesus surrendered to the will of the Father and suffered the pain and humiliation of the cross because he knows He will rise on the third day, we can go through our dark Fridays and Saturdays because...

...Sunday morning will come!


Joy comes in the morning!




Comments

Post a Comment