Birthdays!!!

Fall is my favorite time of the year, especially the month of November, for a number of reasons. The main one is, of course, my birthday. And I like how it falls on the same week as Thanksgiving. Five years ago, I celebrated both occasions on the same day. Neat, huh? And like I do every year, I make a special effort to recount the miracles, surprises, and events that made the past year memorable.

The year started out precariously. Insecurities career-wise were at the forefront. It wasn't until May that things took a turn for the better. Or should I say best. I couldn't count the number of sleepless nights I've had from February to May and the prayers whispered, shouted, and uttered in what sounded like desperation. But God is faithful. When He says something, He does it.

In June I decided to join the Times Square Church Adult Praise Choir. I felt that it was time to give back, to minister while at the same time being ministered. To give as I have received. To serve as I have been served. It wasn't an easy process. Aside from filling out an application form, I had to go through an interview and an audition. And both saw me shaking my head because I was so convinced I blew my chances. But I wasn't worried. I knew for a fact that if God wanted me to be in the choir, He'd make a way. And He did. In July I got a call from the choir administrator and she said that I made it. Once again God pulled through. But the challenges didn't stop there. On my first day, I was told that I'd be singing soprano. I was not happy. My whole life I've always been an alto and singing soprano was unthinkable. I thought they made a mistake. But when I approached the administrator she said that she wanted me with the sopranos, so I acquiesced. The first few weeks were very rough but my vocal chords soon adapted to the new demands. If you're familiar with my vocal range you'd understand why this is a miracle.

July was also the month I passed the road test and consequently received my driver's license. Such joy! As a matter of fact, I was so overjoyed and so inspired that I decided to buy my very first car. Another blessing!

I've met a lot of new people. Made new friends and thankfully, no enemies (at least, not consciously). This city is filled with kind-hearted people that sometimes I wonder why some think it's a place where your heart is sure to harden. Sure I've come across mean-spirited individuals, but such exist in equal measure all over the world. I'm just utterly blessed that the people I associate with on a daily basis are among the nicest on this side of the globe.

However, life being the way it is, there were a few bumps on the road. I've had 2 flat tires and a smashed window, all in the span of 4 months. And oh, I got my first traffic ticket for a moving violation 2 months after I received my license. I swear, it was unintentional. The GPS confused me to a point where my mind didn't even register the fact that going straight on a right-turn only lane is prohibited. And what do you know, a police car was behind me at that very moment.

All in all, I'd say I've had a good year. It started out with my parents coming over for a visit. That was of course one of the highlights. I hope to see them again next year when it's my turn to visit them in Cebu.

Another year has started and the same promise still holds: the best is yet to come!









Comments

  1. i'm so glad to hear from you once again ju!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. Lagi uy. It's been a long time since I blogged religiously. So I thought I should start anew. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment