Loving the Unlovable



Everytime I’m tempted to think ill of someone who doesn’t even try to hide his contempt for me, I remind myself that The Blood was shed for him too. How can I hate him without hurting the One who loves him to the point of death? How can I say bad things about him behind his back without in effect mocking the One who died for him?

It’s easy to judge someone, especially when virtue couldn’t be found. How can you help from saying something when deceit and corruption are the only things observable in a person? But at the foot of the cross, no one is more righteous than the other. God sent His only Son to the world. Not just to a select few, but even (mostly) to the crooked politician, the abusive parent, the dishonest doctor, etc.

To love the unlovable, I believe, is the most heroic thing that a person can do. I guess that’s why Jesus COMMANDED us to love one another. He didn’t just SUGGEST it. I wonder what the world would be like if people simply chose who to love and not bother about those who they find disagreeable. But come to think of it, isn’t that what’s happening right now? And we wonder why violence and war is the norm.

I couldn’t count the number of times I have asked God to help me love one particular person. For almost a year, I have tried to see what’s good about him. I needed to see something that would take him to the lovable side of the spectrum. But the more I tried the more his deceitfulness, pride, close-mindedness, greed, and self-righteousness are magnified. I found that I disliked him more and more. Then one day, I realized that I was doing it wrong. You don’t love someone because of his nice traits. You don’t accept him for his good deeds. You love him just because. You love him because it’s the right thing to do. You love him because Jesus loves him.

That isn’t as easy as it sounds. Ask anyone who has pet peeves. Ask an abused daughter, or a citizen of a third-world country ruled by a corrupt president. But we have to try. We have to ask God to change our hearts so He can love the unlovable through us. After all, it’s not by our own might and strength of conviction that will enable us to do this. And thank God, it’s not. Otherwise, love is a lost cause.

Comments