Savoring The Silence

The Washington Monument



I've grown increasingly antisocial in the last 5 years. It's not because I find company detestable or that I feel I'm too good for other people. Truth is, I just don't feel the need to mingle so much anymore.

When I was younger, you would never find me alone. I needed to be around people all the time. I didn't shun "alone time", I simply prefer being with somebody. However, the more time I spent by myself, which started becoming the norm when I moved to New York, the more I appreciated the value of being able to hear my thoughts. The more I got used to it, the more addicted I became to silence.

I share an apartment with my bestfriend and I appreciate her presence very much. But when I'm by myself in the car and I feel isolated from the world around me, I find it very pleasant. Most people prefer driving to taking the train because they find it more convenient and others find it cuts their commute to half. My reason is far simpler. I just love those moments of silence, something that I could never get from taking the train. After a long and stressful workday, I look forward to getting into my car and be in this world all my own without having to listen to or respond to anyone.

Of course, I acknowledge the fact that no one can isolate themselves from people and stay sane for far too long. We were created to be social people. Isn't the "great commission" centered on relating to people? But I also believe that even great evangelists like Billy Graham or highly influential people like Oprah need time to recharge and get in touch with their own souls or commune with God in their own closets. Although I admit I'm spending more time than necessary in my personal bubble I find I'm not ready to make changes anytime soon.

I'll rejoin the rest of the world soon enough. For now, let me enjoy this season to collect my thoughts and be hypnotized by the rhythm of my own heartbeat.

Comments