Confessions of a Bookworm


I'm running out of shelf space for my books. Considering the spatial limits of my apartment, I'd either have to stop buying books or start selling (or giving) them away. I think of my collection in Cebu and I'm glad I left them there. 

The advent of e-readers have really provided an interesting alternative. If I bought a Kindle or a Nook, I wouldn't be faced with this shelf issue. And yet I'm not finding myself rushing to order either of them, even though they are both fairly priced. I guess I'm pretty old school when it comes to reading. I prefer to turn the actual pages of a book, enjoying the scent and feel of paper. 

There has been much debate about the environmental benefits (or detriments?) of owning an e-reader. A research study indicated that the power needed to assemble one puts more trees at risk than printing a single book. But such studies have not been proven conclusive and the controversy still rages. It does make you think though. I guess I'll just plant a tree for every book I read or plant 10 when I do decide to buy a Nook. 

I know that I'll eventually cave in to technology. Besides it makes more sense. I could own thousands of books all stored in one thumb drive. And travelling would be so much easier if I didn't have to carry books in my luggage in addition to the odd things that I feel I have to carry with me on a 1-week vacation.

Twenty years from now, they just might stop printing books. My granchildren's generation would probably not even recognize a book when they see one. So let me enjoy those crisp pages while they're still around. 



Confession #1: That's 238 books over a period of 3 years. I still have 11 unread and yet I'm thinking of buying more. Is this normal or do I need some sort of intervention?





Comments