Sicky Vicky

The past 3 weeks had been hell for me. I had the worst cold in the history of common colds. A whooping cough, runny nose during the day, congested sinuses at night, and a really sore throat. Anyone who hears my voice these days wonder whether I have been possessed by a demon or something. It's that bad. I hope the choir administrator doesn't kick me out for not showing up to sing or to practice. It's hard enough to talk as it is.

A week ago, my voice has already started making an appearance after 2 weeks of being AWOL. And just when I thought I'm ready to join the choir again, I got infected by another virus that gave me 2 days of fever and more coughing. It's almost as if all the viruses in the world are lined up in front of me waiting for their turn to molest my body.

Last night, though, I slept soundly. After almost a month of getting up in the middle of the night to get water to ease the itch in my throat, it's a very welcome sign. I'm finally on the road to recovery. Hopefully I'd be well enough to enjoy the weeklong midwinter break.

Here are a few of things that will help while you are coughing and sneezing your way through any kind of nasty winter:

1. Water. Lots and lots of it.
2. Ginger. Ginger candy works too.
3. Mucinex.
4. Thermal blanket. If you have an electric blanket, great!
5. Chicken arroz caldo.
6. Oranges.
7. Hot pandesal and a cup of Milo.
8. Netflix! Going to the movies is a pain if you have to get out of your seat to go to the bathroom to clear your sinuses.
9. Calls from home.
10. A lot of prayers and well wishes.



Comments

  1. girl, next time get some Pei Pa Lo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rue: I've never heard of that. But let me see if I can find some here. Thanks, Rue-y. =)

    @Jane: Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ginger Candy! Even if it doesn't cure you, it sure has a happy taste!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment