DIY Car Repairs... Sigh...

My car makes these weird squeaking noises when I'm turning while backing up. DIY car repair websites suggested that the wheel bearings need to be replaced. Others claim it could be the rotors or the brake pads. I say, "What?"

When I bought this pre-loved car, I knew there'd be problems along the way. And that I'd have to go to a mechanic every time one pops up because the prospect of looking under the hood myself makes my head spin. I can't even change a tire! Pathetic, right? But I'm already embroiled in this "battle" and the best I could do is adapt: signed up for an AAA membership, befriended my neighborhood mechanic, and collected Pep Boys oil change coupons.

Three weeks ago, the battery light indicator stayed on while I was driving. Good thing I had enough presence of mind to remember that that's not always such a bad thing and didn't panic. But I went to the repair shop as quickly as I could anyway and they promptly changed the alternator, the belt, and the battery. I spent a small fortune but the peace of mind I bought with it is priceless. Tomorrow I'd have to go back to have them check the rotors or the wheel bearing or whatever it is that could be causing these really embarrassing sounds.

This morning, I thought of getting rid of this old car and buying a new one. But that won't really solve all these maintenance issues. I would merely be postponing it for a few years. And then I had a light bulb moment: my mom never had to worry about these things because my dad took care of them. The best solution, I reckon, is to get me a husband. LOL.


A husband would definitely come in handy after a big snowstorm!

Comments

  1. so true! cyrus was the best thing ever when it came to digging out the car after a snowstorm.. LOL.
    but if you do decide on getting a new car, go to a dealership that does oil changes for life -- ours has, and it saves us a bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, oil changes for life would be so awesome. But at the rate gas prices have been going up lately, a new car would only add undue stress to my budget. Although who knows I might just win the lottery. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment