New York, New York

A lot of my friends in the Philippines have asked me if New York City is really as overrated as some people say it is. For the sake of argument, let's say it is. But so are a lot of things. It doesn't mean it's no longer worth seeing or experiencing. So do me a favor and visit NYC and tell me what you think. But don't just go and do the predictable. By all means check out the famous destinations (Times Square, Statue of Liberty, etc), but be sure to drop by the ghettos of Brooklyn as well.

Stay for a month and eat at a different restaurant every night. Watch at least 2 Broadway plays. Spend a lazy day at Central Park. Shop at 5th Avenue but don't forget to go visit the small shops in Queens and the bazaars at Bryant Park. Ride the subway/bus during rush hours. Hail a cab in Manhattan to go to Queens and tell me how many drivers you have tried to convince before someone agrees to take you there. Drive from downtown to Midtown and back in a rental car and tell me how long it took you to get through traffic.

Reserve a table at Peter Luger but don't forget to try the kebabs from the food carts that line the streets. Try different cuisines: Italian, French, Indian, Korean, Peruvian, and Cuban. But remember to try Chinese as well even if you've had some from a different city.

After Cebu (my home city in the Philippines), I didn't think I'd love another as much as I love NYC. It's polluted and noisy, smelly in some places, and I've met some of the rudest and utterly shameless people here. But it's also here that I've found the kindest and warmest friends and colleagues. You'd think that in a city as big as this, the locals would be cavalier and indifferent. Sure, there are bad apples, all big cities do. But New Yorkers tend to be very helpful to tourists, understanding of foreign accents, and tolerant of different cultural habits. When you come for the first time, I guarantee you'll feel right at home.


Hahaha! It never gets old.









Comments