Miss Saigon: A Mini Review


Photo from my friend's phone camera taken by a random theater-goer


The critically acclaimed West End original, Miss Saigon, is back on Broadway after 16 years in the hopes of capturing a new generation of audiences.

When my friends and I learned about this Broadway revival, we excitedly bought advance tickets to get good seats and waited in anticipation for its opening. I didn't know what to expect because even though I knew the gist of the plot, I was not privy to any spoilers. This proved to be a good thing because the shock factor added significant value to the experience.

As in any play/musical, I expect to be mesmerized by the interplay of the story, the music, the stage design, and the actors' performances. When either of these factors are mediocre, it ruins the entire show. Thankfully, Miss Saigon delivered in all areas. Eva Noblezada's Kim was a bit underwhelming but not a disappointment. Jon Jon Briones', however, was brilliant as The Engineer! He embodied the crass, scrupulous, selfish, and ambitious character while bringing humor to the dire events depicted in the show. The vocal talent, choreography, and costumes, were also noteworthy.

Should you find yourself in Broadway one of these days, don't miss this show!

Comments