A Commuter’s Tale



On the 7 train


Taking the train to the city is such a treat these days. I don’t get to do it often anymore. On my first few years in NY, I worked at an outpatient clinic on 3rd Avenue so I got to excitedly race with the commuting crowd daily. But since I started my independent practice (in addition to regular employment), driving has become a necessity and the time I spent sitting in a subway car reading a book, people watching, and gawking at various odds and ends has dwindled. 

Some, if not most, people dislike the mad rush, the pushing and shoving, and the non-existence of a personal space that is associated with taking public transportation. And I get it. Not only do you have to deal with inconsiderate behavior but you also have to endure smells from different sources, dirty seats, sticky floors, and often train delays. The smells, especially those of human origin, bothered me incessantly. But for the most part, I found taking the train a tolerable, if not productive, experience. 

I say productive because it is. There is no better way to learn certain life lessons than rubbing elbows with other humans who are on the same high stakes rush of securing a seat on a full subway car at 7:30 AM on a Monday. The train is also a brimming source of inspiration for aspiring authors, songwriters, fashion enthusiasts, and even the mere mortal. Some stories, songs, or style ensembles can only be knitted together by absorbing the sights, sounds, and yes, even the smells inside a 10 ft x 67 ft rectangular box for 30 minutes. Truth be told, I have written quite a few stories on one of those half hour commutes.

When you find yourself in New York City, do yourself a favor and catch the 7 train from 34th Street and take it all the way east to Flushing. Or the 4 from Woodlawn to Crown Heights. Or the M from Forest Hills to Middle Village. And as you travel from west to east, north to south, from one borough to the next, you’ll see just how interesting this city can be. Warning: You may not want to leave. Or worse, fall deeply in love. I know I have.



Comments