Not for the Public



Oversharing is the norm these days. I truly do not mind people sharing intimate details about their lives on social media. I'm a firm believer of giving people an avenue through which they can let their thoughts and personal struggles breathe when they become overwhelming. I understand how it could be annoying when people air their dirty laundry in public, especially when it happens on a daily basis. But I also know that it can often be hard to find someone willing to listen. So even though I think that some things should only be spoken about in private, I have decided not to judge those who feel they need to share certain things to a bigger audience.

However, as much as I don't mind people sharing about the personal things going on in their lives, I do not appreciate someone else sharing mine on my behalf. Especially when it's something I expect to stay confidential. If it's my story, either you let me share it or ask my permission for you to do it. Or just make sure that when you do share it without my permission that it could not be directly linked to me. Sometimes, a story is so good (e.g., funny, interesting, inspiring, etc.) you just need the world to read about it. I often find inspiration for my posts from my conversations with people. But I take care not to violate anyone's privacy.

Another thing that annoys me is when people bully me into making personal confessions in public. I'm candid about my thoughts and I don't mind being asked questions at an appropriate time and place. But putting me on the spot in a public forum and then bullying me into answering is not something that I'm happy about. There are things that I'm only willing to share with people in my inner circle. So if I ignore your question, get a clue.

There are doors that should not be opened by force. Knock.




Comments

Post a Comment