Free to Fly


Is it the destination? Or the journey? Some would argue one or the other, depending on the context of course. When you’re cooped up inside a huge tube for 15 hours sitting in an economy class seat, the destination better be worth it because the journey leaves a lot to be desired. 

This is the fourth time in the past 12 months that I would take this long-haul flight to Taipei where I would catch a 2-hour connecting flight to Cebu. I’ve established a routine: a pre-flight cup of tea, a read-sleep-eat-exercise-repeat ritual during the flight, and another cup of tea (or coffee, depending on how much I need it) at the layover. Traveling always gives me a thrill as evidenced by my inability to sleep the night before or my obsessiveness in checking the list to make sure I have everything (God forbid I forget to bring my hair iron!). Never mind that I often struggle to get comfortable in these cramped seats or that jet lag always gets me; the ability to travel is a privilege and a blessing that I count twice. Unfortunately, not everyone can say the same thing. 

Several reasons preclude one from traveling: finances, work schedule, kids, or poor health. But the most tragic one is the lack of freedom to do so. In North Korea, for example, a citizen’s ability to travel is controlled (read: limited) by the government, according to Wikipedia. It’s sad that such a level of oppression exists in the 21st century. As much as we criticize the seemingly chaotic democracies worldwide, having the freedom to leave and be anywhere you choose makes the chaos worth it. 

As I reflect on these things with Ed Sheeran’s smooth voice in my ears, the liberties of what we in countries like the United States take for granted are sinking in. We are often caught up with trivial issues such as how high the taxes are, how traffic messes up our day, and how a package we ordered from Amazon didn’t arrive on time; I would take these inconveniences anytime for the freedom to pack my bags and be somewhere else. 

To everyone reading this who may not have the flexibility, the opportunity, or the freedom to book that flight to Athens that you’ve been dreaming of, don’t let go of that dream that someday you will get to hop on that plane and take pictures of that Grecian sunset you’ve seen on Instagram. Miracles can and do happen. 


Unlimited.


Comments

  1. I suddenly became a mother of 2 when my brother and his wife died. I love to travel but with 2 kids now, I have to put it on hold. Maybe when they’re older, then we can see the world together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry for your loss. How old are the kids?

      I traveled with my sister who has a 5-year old, 3, and 1; it was challenging. But you’re right it gets easier when they’re older. I’ll remember you in my prayers.

      Thanks for visiting my blog, Anabel.

      Delete

Post a Comment