Pissed


I’ve only been drunk once, in college. It was a Friday night out with friends after a particularly rough day of seeing patients at the hospital, the kind clinical interns are all too familiar with.

We went to a popular tapas bar in Ormoc City for some good food, live music, and booze. I did not intend on putting alcohol into my system. I wanted to act the way a good Christian girl should, stay true to my upbringing, and make my momma proud. Prior to that night, the last time beer touched my lips was in 3rd grade when my cousin let me have a sip. I hated the taste and the smell, which is why I never developed an appetite for it. But after some coaxing (peer pressure, really) from everyone around the table, I thought I would allow myself to be adventurous, throw caution to the wind, and live a little. It backfired.

A shot of tequila, 2-3 sips of margarita, long island iced tea, beer, and some vodka: it sounds like a lot but I only had a total of 2 glasses between all these. And yet, I went out like a light. They showed pictures of me with my head on the table and my arms hugging my bag; at least I had enough sense left to care for my belongings. 

Many people notice a slight change in their personalities when they imbibe alcohol. Some feel disinhibited and gain a measure of courage to say and do whatever they want after 2 or 3 glasses. A few friends enjoy the feeling of liberation after a drinking spree. I don’t get it. But that may be because other than drowsiness, a splitting headache, and an allergic reaction, alcohol does not do anything for me. Maybe everyone should get drunk at least once in their lives. Isn’t it worth finding out how and what you are like when alcohol is in control of your system? This is not to make light of the dangers of drunken binges. After all, alcoholism is a disease that has a vice-grip on this generation. Families have suffered, futures have been ruined, and lives were lost because of it. 

After that night, I haven’t had a drink until I discovered dry wine a couple of years ago. And even though I enjoy its taste, I only allow myself a glass on rare special occasions (or maybe 2 when I’m with people I trust); that would bring the total to 2 glasses in the past year.

When you’re in a great company of people whose thoughts you love to hear and remember, who needs alcohol?


Bubbly.

Comments

  1. This post slipped past me. 😊

    I'm an occasional beer guy. But even when I do drink, it's only in the privacy of my home... Just to be safe. 😎

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment