No List


My Cebu trip next week is supposed to be a hectic one. I listed the Filipino food I’ve been craving, the places I will visit, and the things I will do; but as of a few minutes ago, I realized it’s crazy. There is no way I’ll get to all of them without feeling like I need a vacation from my vacation. So I threw my list out and it feels so good! I will let my friends do the planning and for the rest of the week see where each moment takes me. 

I hate to admit it, but I’m a compulsive planner. God forbid I will be caught sleeping in till 12 when I’m supposed to be having fun! So, yes, I plan my vacation days meticulously. There is nothing wrong with that, I believe. But I want to try something different this time. A little spontaneity never hurt anyone. Gotta live a little!

I used to be much worse. In my younger days, I planned for everything and it bothered me a lot when they are not carried out to a tee. Anyone who spent hours preparing something that’s thrown out willy-nilly could empathize. But I have learned not to stress over things that are beyond my control such as the weather, traffic, and other people.

Years of adjusting to people’s timetables, standards, and habits have taught me to revise my expectations. In other words, I have matured. When I make plans these days, I do it with a mindset of flexibility. A few months ago in Cebu, a friend “demanded” that I meet with her because she missed me. I thought it was sweet so I loaded up on caffeine and skipped an early dinner so I can eat with her at 10pm before her shift started. And what did she do? Yes, you guessed it, she canceled at 11pm. Why? Because she overslept. I was a little annoyed (who wouldn’t be?) but I figured I can’t allow her to ruin my entire day. I did agree to meet with her for breakfast the next day (yes, I gave her another chance because she’s a really good friend). 

There are things in life that we need to be proactive about and prepare for; but there is also beauty in simply embracing whatever comes, friends who oversleep included. 


See you in 5 days, Cebu!



Comments

Post a Comment