Drama


Drama is inevitable in any family. For the most part, however, my sisters and I have not been involved in any of the scuffles (minor and major) that my cousins, aunts, and uncles have found themselves in over the years. And all the credit goes to my parents--my father, especially--who have the uncanny ability to diffuse emotionally heated situations.

Land and property disputes, money matters, and personal grievances somehow squirm their way between people and when neither is magnanimous enough to give in, it turns into one of those ugly soap operas that could go on for years. A few weeks ago, my family went through an episode that could have involved law suits and broken relationships had my parents not done what Jesus said we should all do: turn the other cheek.

My mother related to me a conversation my father had with his brother about an issue they were dealing with at the time. It went something like this:

Uncle: You are taking advantage of me.
Father: Why would I take advantage of you, you're my brother? I'm merely asking you for a favor. But if your answer is no then I will respect it.
Uncle: You are taking advantage. How would you feel if I take advantage of you?
Father: I'll take it. You're my older brother, I would never disrespect you.

My uncle apparently got a little miffed at my father (Tats) for saying that. But I know Tats was sincere. As a child, each time I told him about an "injustice" done to me by one of my classmates, friends, or sisters he would always say, "Pabintaha lang. Mas maayo man nang ikaw ang bintahaan kaysa ikaw ang mamintaha." (Let them take the advantage. It's better to be taken advantage of than be the one to do it to someone else.)

My "Justice League" mentality did not grasp the wisdom of those words. I see red whenever people usurp the rights of others to further their agenda. I especially hate it when it's done to those who are already oppressed by poverty or disability. In my small mind, I told myself that, sure, I would never try to lord my privilege over anyone; but neither would I allow anyone to do the same to me. That's what made sense, to me, at least.

Over the years, however, I learned that because we all live in a fallen world, people will use, abuse, and take whatever they can from others. It's a reality we all have to deal with. And if we all respond in vindictiveness, we will never see an end to the cycle of hatred that's so pervasive in our current society. There is a reason that Jesus said, "If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also." (Matthew 5:40, NKJV) This is in stark contrast to the world's idea of fairness and entitlement. But Jesus was all about humility and service. He showed it when He washed His disciples filthy feet and when He took on OUR death sentence upon Himself.

Drama is, indeed, often inevitable. But we can choose to take the path that Jesus told us to take: the path of love.



Comments