One Voice


I met a child who told me, "Mommy said I can't do anything right. And I always say the wrong things."

"I'm sure that's not true. You scored really well on that test I asked you to do so that's one thing you did right. And you told me my hair looks nice. That's a great thing to say to someone," I answered. 

"Whatever. Oops, I'm sorry. I'm not supposed to say whatever."

"Don't worry, it'll be our little secret."

My heart went out to this little girl. I used to be like her. As a kid, I lived for my mom's approval. But hard as I tried, I still botched everything I did. I often got in trouble because of it. I broke the radio. I messed with the electrical meter. I ruined my dolls. I made a friend cry. I forgot to take my dog when we moved to another house. I lost my favorite watch. I hurt my sister. I broke the rules. I didn't get to finish at the top of my class. I answered when I wasn't supposed to and stayed quiet when I was supposed to say something. I never did anything right. At least, I thought I didn't. 

Several times I longed to run away from all the expectations that everyone had of me. (It wasn't just my mother.) My teachers, my friends... At certain moments, it felt like all the people in my life, expected me to perform, outdo myself, be perfect: act the right way, say the right words. And I felt I often ended up disappointing them because I'm bound to spill a glass of water or get spaghetti on my white dress or make a bad joke. It was suffocating.

My mother, despite her consistent push for me to reach my potential, taught me a valuable lesson: don't be afraid of people, they're just people. So I decided (at 10 years old!) to stop defining myself based on what people thought or said about me. I didn't know it then, but this advise is biblical:

Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, you people in whose heart is My law: Do not fear the reproach of men, nor be afraid of their insults. (Isaiah 51:7, NKJV)

Over the years, I have learned to appreciate my strengths and accept my weaknesses. God's word taught me that He made each of us exactly the way we are for a specific reason and our value is not based on how good we are at doing things or how we never utter the wrong words, or how smart, popular, or spiritual. Our worth is based on who God says we are. 

So...

Dear little girl,

Don't seek validation from the people around you. Everyone is fickle. One day people look at you as the shiny new toy who can do somersaults and win quiz bees. And the next you're the reason why the team lost the finals. One day you're America's darling who captivated a boy's heart. And the next he cheats on you with Angelina Jolie. One day your ideas are the talk of the company. And the next they consider you an embarrassment. 

Be who God made you, do what He says you should do, and say what He says you should say. You will make mistakes, trip while walking in 4-inch heels, lose your wallet and cellphone on the same day, botch the lyrics (and the tune!) to a song, or step on someone's toes on the train. You will disappoint some (or a lot of) people and shatter the rose-colored glasses they view you from. Don't let that get you down. Don't let their opinions ruin your day (or your life!). In the grand scheme of things, only one Voice matters... His. 



He calls you PRECIOUS!






Comments