Love Is Love



Because it’s Valentine's Day, I’m reposting this entry from my old blog. It was written 15 years ago by an idealistic girl who spent a lot of time with her thoughts and saw everything through lenses fitted with dramatic filters. Happy Hearts’ Day, my dear readers!

——-

“I Love You”

To say that I have never faltered in my belief that someday I'm going to marry you is essentially not true. One day I listened to you describing with gusto (coupled with exaggerated gestures and your widest smile) this date you had with this brown-eyed girl who floats rather than walks, I felt blood squeezed out from my cardiac ventricles. And that other time when you somberly told me how you've lost any desire to sleep, eat or to even go on living because that same brown-eyed girl dumped you for a man who sings like Josh Groban, I almost let out an involuntary, "GOOD!" but managed to say, "Oh!” instead.

No, I was not always sure that you were the one. But, more often than not, I would remember you with a fondness I couldn't explain. And those moments make me want to believe what I've always thought was true. I love you.

Whether you love me is not the question that begs to be asked. In fact, there is no question. For love shouldn't have questions, only answers. And my heart does not doubt the facts that it knows. Sometimes it gets hurt. It gets fractured with the slightest blow. But whether whole, bruised, or broken, it loves with a passion not easily outrun by jealousy, pride or insecurity. It knows what it knows regardless of where that knowledge takes it.

Yes, I would rather say my "I Do's" to you. But "and they live happily ever after" is as fickle as "once upon a time". Only one thing is certain, one thing constant... I love you.

Disclaimer:  The characters implied here are completely fictional. Any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.


"I feel your whisper across the sea"

Comments

  1. No questions asked
    No reciprocation expected
    That's how love is tasked
    For the one the heart has elected

    ;)

    Katam-is ani nga post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so good at coming up with these verses. How long did that take you? 😜

      It’s too sweet, I know! I forgot I had it in me, once. Hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Came up with it in a few minutes. If you enjoyed that, you might enjoy my Germany-inspired rhymes. ;)

      Perks of being an English Major. ;)

      Delete
    3. I did enjoy it! I love how the rhymes rolled off my tongue. Very satisfying! (This is what I should’ve said in the comment. Or did I? Haha)

      Delete
  2. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” - Alfred Lord Tennyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it, though? Hmmm... 😜

      Delete
    2. Of course it is! But I don’t know what loving someone is for when in the future you’ll lose him/her. It makes no sense. It’s a waste of time. Well, it gives your life color.

      Delete

Post a Comment