Who Wins?


Did I not get the memo? Is it now acceptable to curse someone and call them names on a public forum? Have social norms changed?

In my other blog, I posted my thoughts on the imminent closure of Boracay Island. I expected some dissenters, of course. An amicable exchange of opposing views is good (even encouraged) in a democracy or civilized society. But I didn’t expect to be called names. This is not new to me, but it still stings a little when attacks get too personal and way out of line. In the interest of peace and taking the moral high ground, I conceded my case and deleted my post. But I’m still shaking. 

The headstrong and stubborn 20-year-old version of myself would never have buckled and would scoff at how quickly I rested my case. It’s not that I’m less inclined to win and prove my point, but rather, I have learned when to get out of a battle that’s not worth fighting. What would I have gained had I engaged him further? Would I be better for it? Would he? Would it change the course of events and stop the inevitable? The only thing I would’ve gotten out of drawing out that entire ordeal was a bitter enemy. Who needs that?

Proving yourself right isn’t always the best conclusion. In poker, knowing when to fold saves you a lot of regret. We would do well to apply that in real world situations.

Boracay, I wish you well. I hope to see you again soon.

Comments

  1. I’m sure there are other equally beautiful places in the philippines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are.

      By the way, the Boracay closure is only for 6 months, so hopefully it’ll be open by the time you visit. 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment