Hunger Games, IMO.




Several people have given me flak for not loving the Hunger Games series as much as they do. Call me obnoxious but I simply felt that Suzanne Collins failed to take this story to the level that I expected it to go. A better writer, someone with a greater vision, would have capitalized on the potential that the plot obviously possesses. Being that it was classified as a young adult series, I was wondering whether she deliberately dumbed it down to also reach the 14-17 age group, because honestly, the 18-year-old me wouldn't be jumping up and down either.

The way it was written, Collins obviously meant it to be movie-friendly. I have to at least consider that possibility, otherwise I would make the unfair conclusion that her writing skills are mediocre at best. There was so much emphasis on the "TV show" aspect of The Games that the political and societal angles have essentially (and unfortunately, if I might add) been watered down. And I absolutely hated the way Katniss, the celebrated heroine in the first part of the trilogy, was reduced to being a figurehead in the succeeding parts. Granted that she developed some umph towards the end, for some reason I didn't think it was enough. As a result, Collins has failed me in the sense that I ended up not caring for Katniss at all. And that's a major letdown. Peeta is the only character I really cared about. I wonder if it would've been better if the whole thing was told from his point of view because, frankly, being privy to Katniss' thoughts was so annoying.

The love triangle? Laughable. Other than possessing the unfair advantage of being Katniss' bestfriend, Gale doesn't hold a candle to Peeta. There is simply no contest, making this aspect of the story feel contrived. It's as if the author incorporated it to make the story more interesting but not quite. Collins could've done a better job developing Gale's character. And Katniss' for that matter.

The only reason I decided to see this series to the end is the fact that I'm a stickler for finishing everything that I've started. Unfortunately, it wasn't as engaging for me as the average person. All too often, I found myself tempted to just skim through just to get to the last page. Something must be seriously wrong with me because I couldn't seem to find anyone who shares my sentiments. But then again, I could always argue that the "emperor's new clothes" are either invisible or non-existent.

The movie, on the other hand, is something else. It's one of those films that are better than the books they are based on. So I guess my made-for-the-movies theory may hold water after all.



Mr. Magician, if you're reading this, don't forget that we called a truce. LOL. No offense meant. =)






Comments