Skin Deep

Who wants to be known as the one with the pretty face? Apparently, quite a number of people. In this day and age, the cosmetic surgeons are earning the big bucks because men and women alike have no qualms about investing resources on improving their physical attributes. A lift here and a tuck there. So much premium has been placed on "looking good" that we have become a generation of anorexics, bolemics, obsessive marathon runners, and gym junkies. The desire to be healthy is a good one. But I have yet to meet someone who wants to take care of their bodies solely for health reasons.

Over the years, I have always worked at making myself look presentable. That includes making sure that I take care of my skin and my hair and being mindful of the clothes I wear. I would not consider myself vain but I do care that I don't look like I have not seen the other side of the shower curtain in months. Placing a high premium on appearance is not something that most people would admit to. You ask men everywhere and they would never admit (not even to themselves) that they care a lot about how a woman looks. No one wants to be called shallow. Women are not guiltless either. I confess that in my younger (and more immature) years, I have written men off because they didn't look a certain way.

Why do we care so much about things that are only skin deep?

Comments