Escape The Cauldron





Some people post extreme political or religious views on their Facebook pages too often and I find it annoying particularly when they're radically different from my own. So I "unsubscribe" from them. However, every now and then I would visit their pages when I want my sensibilities to be provoked. I don't necessarily comment on any of their posts but I do it to remind myself why I don't share the same content on my own page.

The current political climate could be likened to being trapped inside an insulated bubble at the bottom of a boiling cauldron and the only way out is to escape from the bubble and swim through boiling water and out of the cauldron. Ugh! Just thinking about it gives me hives. And it's not just the maelstrom caused by the media's clashes with the administration or the different points of view published on social media. It's the anger, hate, fear, and intolerance coming from all sides of the political spectrum that's causing this hyperpartisanship. Finger-pointing is nothing new, but when it's done in this highly polarized environment, it forms the foundation of a perfect storm.

Is there a 3-step process to get out of this predicament? Unfortunately, it's not that simple. It's never easy when people are involved. We could argue that if we were more tolerant of each other, then we would be able to coexist harmoniously. Yuval Harari, in his book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, said, "Tolerance is not a Sapiens trademark." Based on recent history and current reality, no truer words have been written. In short, this is not a problem with a likely solution. Like most things in this life, we just ride it out and hope for the best.

Comments