Aladdin's New World


Aladdin, the original 1992 animated version, is one of my favorite Disney movies. The songs are obviously one of the reasons; but upon watching the live action cinematic release I'm reminded that it's the characters' desire to escape their current reality that resonated with me. 

It sounds ungrateful because anyone from the outside looking in could see that I had a charmed life. It's true, my sisters and I were well provided for and we were surrounded with love and everything that a girl could ask for; but I was not your typical teenager. My mind was always on something I can't reach, someplace I can't be, someone I wasn't. You can blame it on the books I've read or the movies I've seen; but my grandmother told me that even when I was only 2, my head was in the wind, and the stars, and the birds in the air. Perhaps, some of us were born with this insatiable thirst for things that are not. 

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the present. Thank God for the maturity to accept what is and be content because there really is no reason to complain. However, I can't deny that in the deepest pit of my soul, there's a restlessness I can't shirk. What I initially thought was a temporary condition is turning out to be a chronic affliction. Perhaps it's because a lot of the promises I've received from God are not mine yet; or perhaps I simply crave a life of tightrope adventures; or perhaps there's a deeper purpose to this malady that I don't yet understand. All I know is that from then till now, A Whole New World captures the essence of what my spirit yearns for.

A bridge to somewhere I've never been. 





Comments